Translate

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Mies van der Rohe


I could not go to Barcelona without visiting the german pavilion by mies van der rohe. Amazingly it was the least crowded site I have visited in Barcelona. It seems the large auto show taking place on Monjuic was more interesting to the community. The weather was perfect and there was enough light to capture the reflections on the materials that this building is known for. I have a few images reflecting the huge banners of BMW - not the mix of old and new I was planning on seeing in Europe, but an accurate reflection of the time.
After walking around the Barri Gotic and seeing some of Gaudi´s buildings, mies pavilion seems plain and small. But after a while the calmness of the space pulls me in. The materials used are so rich and the details elegant. If anything, I wish this building was placed in an even more remote area with fewer adjacent structures. The materials are beautiful and my favorite is actually the white walls that are not reflective. The are 'wormy' and have small crystal in the crevices that are similar to a geode.

No comments:

Post a Comment