Translate

Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Albayzin, the old Moorish quarter in Granada

I don't know how long it take someone to know how to get around in this neighborhood! A map was more of a hindrance than a help because it gave me the false sense that somehow I might know where I was going. I circled past one restaurant 3 times before somehow going in a new direction. I was looking for the San Nicolas viewpoint. Once I gave up, I found many other interesting sights.
One was this house that is now a museum open to the public. Not only was it free, but I could go inside and look at the artwork of the artist who had lived there and see the rooms as they were used. There was also a great view of the Alhambra.



A view of the Alhambra over the rooftops of houses in the Albayzin. The snow on the Sierra Nevada mountains is in the distance. (click on photo to enlarge).

Imagine getting around in this neighborhood by car (the hoods of 2 are visible in the photo above). But they can go no farther because of the set of stairs just in front of them. As a tourist I delighted in the idiosyncrasies like this, but I'm not sure if the residents found it irritating or were so used to it.



The Great Mosque of Grenada, built in 2003.









No comments:

Post a Comment