Translate

Thursday, August 20, 2009

La Sagrada Familia, exterior

"Every great architect is - necessarily - a great poet. He (or She) must be a great original interpreter of his time, his day, his age." - Frank Lloyd Wright
La Sagrada Familia was always of intrest to me, but most of the photos were not too compelling. I saw a very large church that looked like nothing I had seen before. And even now, looking at some of my photos, I feel the same. I was too far away to capture the details. But others work, because for me this is sort of a church turned inside-out. All the incredible details & stories are on the exterior and the inside is simple, soaring and, in comparison, quiet. I could have spent the whole day here, but was here for 6 hours. I would like to go back when it is completed and see it also at night.

In the elevation above, the brown is what is completed, the grey is what is yet to be built! Amazing - since this church already towers over Barcelona!


...little pockets in the spire that allow people to come out and see the view of Barcelona...






The Passion facade is where everyone enters the church (completed by Josep Maria Sbirachs). Eventually this will be a side entry. This is a point where the details of the church can be seen up close - the story and the craftsmanship.














(a magic square in the door - all numbers add up to 33....anyone read the Lost Symbol by Dan Brown?...)







below, the top of one of the lower spires on the church.


A view of Barcelona with Torre Agbar in the distance.
The tree lined streets and chamfered corners of L'Eixample.

...the continuing construction on site.


After taking an elevator to the top for a view, the way down was walking circularly down through the towers. The cores are hollow and I basically was walking down within the walls.


The view up to the top of the spire...

...the view down, where I was heading...





No comments:

Post a Comment